Friday, September 18, 2009

Sign Up for Book Review

In the interest of keeping things interesting, one extra requirement attaches to the books you can pick for your book review: only one person per book.  The way we will manage the "first come first served" norm (easy norm to agree on but there are some transaction and information costs -- more about those later in the course) is to have you comment on this blog entry.

When you have settled on an book, add a comment to this entry by clicking on the comment button below.  Of course, you should read through the other comments to see what's already been taken.  If I'm feeling really energetic I'll keep tabs and figure out a way to cross them off on the online lists as they are signed up for.  But don't hold your breath on this last bit.

Be sure to leave both your name and the title of the book.

36 comments:

  1. Princess Simpkins
    Crane, Diana Fashion and its social agendas : class, gender, and identity in clothing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to take, Teenage Wasteland: Suburbia's Dead End Kids.
    -Sandeep

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo Freire
    --Chibo Shinagawa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unruly Women: the politics of social and sexual control in the old South
    --Emilee Harrison

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woops, Pedagogy is not on the list....sorry about that.

    Instead, I'd like to do Abortion and the Politics of Motherhood by Luker.

    Thanks!
    -Chibo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like to do:

    "Predictably irrational : the hidden forces that shape our decisions" by Dan Ariely

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where do I find the list?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Moral Order of a Suburb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Randall, Richard S. Censorship of the movies : the social and political control of a mass medium Madison : University of Wisconsin Press, c1968. [791.43 R189c]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Surveillance after September 11 by David Lyons

    -Christina Morrow

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heather Houston

    Loic Wacquant
    "Punishing the Poor"

    ReplyDelete
  12. The American Disease: The Origins of Narcotics Control, David Musto

    ReplyDelete
  13. Claudia Cinelli

    The American Disease
    David Musto

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lillian Jungleib

    Addiction: From Biology to Drug Policy
    by Avram Goldstein

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kelly M--
    One of the Guys; Girls, Gangs, & Gender
    Jody Miller

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ariunaa B

    Deliquent boys; the culture of the gang
    by Cohen, Albert K

    ReplyDelete
  17. Keri H. Ko---

    Seductions of crime : moral and sensual attractions in doing evil
    by Jack Katz

    ReplyDelete
  18. Crime and Punishment
    by Fyodor Dostoevsky

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey I'll be doing "Delinquent Daughters" by Mary Odem.
    -Linnea Linde

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'll be reading "Nudge" by Richard Thaler

    -Rebecca Williams

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'll be reviewing "Asylums; essays on the social situation of mental patients and other inmates"

    ReplyDelete
  22. Shanah Bartram will be reviewing
    Gaines, Donna
    Teenage wasteland : suburbia's dead end kids .

    ReplyDelete
  23. Natori Coleman
    will be reviewing

    Extreme Deviance
    Goode, Erich

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oops my bad the book that I want has been taken so I will defer to
    Burnham, John C. (John Chynoweth), 1929- Bad habits : drinking, smoking, taking drugs, gambling, sexual misbehavior, and swearing in American history
    Shanah Bartram

    ReplyDelete
  25. Christina Chavez "Some trouble with cows: making sense of social conflict" by C. Stone

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dion " Charli" Prete will be reviewing "The Art of Managing Everyday Conflict" by Erik Fisher.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I will be reviewing "Fashion and its social agendas: class, gender, and identity in clothing"

    Yvonna

    ReplyDelete
  28. I will be reviewing.
    CROOKS AND SQUARES BY MALIN AKERSTROM
    instead of the other book.

    -CHRISTINA CHAVEZ

    ReplyDelete
  29. No Matter How Loud I Shout: A Year in the Life of Juvenile Court

    -Dawn Liu

    ReplyDelete
  30. OOPS I changed my book to "Surveillance after 9/11" by David Lyon. Sorry about the change.

    Thanks,
    Charli Prete

    ReplyDelete
  31. Okay one more time
    I Shanah Bartram will be reviewing
    ARE PRISONS OBSOLETE by Angela Davis
    ...that is my final answer (I hope)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ok... I know you probably are really tired of me changing my book but I did not notice that Christina was doing Surveillance after 9/11 after the fact. So I have choosen another book "Pharmacracy - Medicine and politics in America" by Thomas Szasz.

    Since I thought I was done looking, I deleted some names and blogs on who was doing what, so if you notice that this one is taken, please let me know ASAP. Thanks,

    Charli Prete

    ReplyDelete
  33. Goffman, Erving. Stigma : notes on the management of spoiled identity

    Katie Hluchan

    ReplyDelete
  34. Kittredge, Katharine. Lewd & Notorious: Female Transgression in the Eighteenth Century. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2003.

    Yolanda

    ReplyDelete
  35. I will do John Burnham's book, Bad habits. Sorry i'm so late, just now knowing how to do this blog thing.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I, Lauren Soldano, will be reviewing "The Celebration of Heroes: Prestige as a Social Control System" by William J. Goode.

    ReplyDelete